Monday, October 31, 2011

Reviewing, planning, and reminding

Well, I have finally finished Spider's Revenge and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I felt like that book was a lot of character wrapping up. In reading the book, I felt like it was the end of the series only to find out at the end of the book there was a preview for the next book in the series. I love Jennifer Estep and I adore her books but I'm finding myself bored unable to really gather up the good parts of the book. The beginning of the book was a huge let down for me because it was pretty much the same world-building as in the first couple of books. I know that authors try to make it so people can read their books out of order but going too deep into details you've already outlined in the million four books ahead of this one. I don't mind a little reminder tidbit here and there but to basically summarize the series throughout this book was a bit nerve racking for me. I do like how it ended but it seemed like the author was trying to wrap a pretty little bow around the story while leading a little edge for the next book in the series. I'm not sure that I will won't go get and read the next book but I'll whine the whole time :)...


I believe the next book on my list of To-Reads is going to be Trance by Kelly Meding. She posted the first chapter of the book on her website to enlist interest in the new series and it kind of grabbed me. I'm interested to see where the story takes me after the first chapter. It's something about kids with super-abilities that are fighting other adults with super-abilities and somehow their magic goes away and comes back when they are adults...I dunno. It's weird but intriguing. I'm digging the concept but I worry that the story line will be played out. But here's hoping it's something fun!


If you've never read Sarah Dessen's The Truth About Forever, you are completely missing out. I love young adult books. I truly do. I don't believe they should be called young adult books for the sole reason that these books are written for everyone. Everyone has life lessons, everyone has those moments in life whether they are in high school, the summer of college or graduation that they sit back and think about what the reality. I know I do. The Truth About Forever is about a girl dealing with loss and finding herself and her way back into the life she once knew. The only way she can find this and herself is to let go and truly open herself up. She meets a guy and they end up playing Truth. Now, if you've never played Truth, it's a dangerous game. You have to be careful about who you're playing with and if they are truly worth your time. It's basically similar to 20 questions without a limitation on questions but you have to be completely honest. There's no win or lose because if you're a sociopath and lie all the time, well...this is fun for you and if you enjoy telling the truth and trust the other person, you get to learn a lot about the person and they life they lead. Anyway, I absolutely adore the concept of Truth in this book and the role it plays. It serves to draw the main character out of her shell while getting to really deal with her emotions through a less personal way. I'm sure I'm explaining this horribly but I urge anyone reading this to go pick up Sarah Dessen's book, The Truth About Forever. I'm not saying it'll change your life but....it'll make you think. Well, it made me think anyway.


With that said...Happy Halloween!!


"What you have to decide is how you want your life to be. If your forever was ending tomorrow, would this be how you'd want to have spent it? Listen, the truth is, nothing is guaranteed. You know that more than anybody. So don't be afraid. Be alive."
The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen

No comments:

Post a Comment